Smoke Alarm Program
If you are a resident within the City of Seneca, you qualify for a free smoke detector for your home. We ask for those who are in need enquire as our surplus is limited. Our goal is to have every home in the city with a working smoke alarm on every level of the home.
Smoke Alarm Tips
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month. Nearly all smoke alarms have a test button, simply push the test button and the alarm will sound.
- It's recommended to change your battery at least twice per year.
- Clean smoke alarms at least once a year. Dust and other particles in the air can build up over time and decrease the sensitivity of a smoke alarm. The best way to clean a smoke alarm is with a vacuum hose.
- Replace the entire smoke alarm at least once every ten years. Smoke alarm do wear out over time.
- Hard-wired smoke alarms should be tested, cleaned, and replaced just as often as non-wired smoke alarms.
- Every bedroom should have a smoke alarms. It's also recommended to put one in living rooms, kitchens and hallways. You can never have too many!
- If you would like assistance in testing the alarm, replacing batteries, would like help relating to installing your new smoke alarm, please call us. A SFD firefighter can come to your home and help you.
Smoke Alarm Facts
- Smoke alarms increase your chance of surviving a fire by 50%.
- An estimated 1/3 of American homes have smoke alarms that do not work.