Seneca Police Department
Position Description – Police Officer
Performs responsible law enforcement work in the Police Department to maintain public peace, protect life and property, enforce laws, and conduct limited investigations according to established department procedures under varying degree of supervision.
Work involves risk, hazardous exposure, and personal danger. The officer must be able to take appropriate action under stress and maintain effective public contacts exercising tact and discretion. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed through conferences, reports, and observation.
Education, Experience & Licensing Requirements:
- Preferred degree in criminology or related field
- Must possess a valid state driver's license
- Must have (or the ability to attain) certification as a law enforcement officer from SC Criminal Justice Academy.
- Any other minimum standards set by state Department of Justice of Training and Standards as applicable.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable laws, ordinances, and department rules and regulations.
- Skill in the use of the tools and equipment listed above.
- Ability to train and supervise subordinate personnel.
- Ability to perform work requiring good physical condition.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers and supervisors.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions.
- Ability to give verbal and written instructions.
Applications are being accepted at Seneca Police Dept or City Hall.
An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The city of Seneca does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability status in employment or the provision of services.