Seneca Parks & Recreation
Position Description - Laborer
The purpose of the position is to perform manual labor and routine park maintenance duties to care for and maintain the parks, facilities and open spaces operated by the City of Seneca Parks and Recreation Department. This class works within a general outline of performing inspection, maintenance, grounds- keeping, athletic field preparation, installation, service, and repair of assigned area, facilities, and equipment. Assembles, installs, monitors, and assists with construction, take-down, clean-up, and removal of Parks & Recreation projects and other permitted special events. Aids during storm/weather clean-up events and emergencies by clearing or removing trees, limbs, debris, and other storm or weather damage. Assists with City of Seneca projects and improvements. Proactively identifies, removes, and reports potential safety hazards. Ensures equipment and property safety, as well as routine inspection of equipment. Primary work hours will be Monday – Friday, 7am to 3:30pm. This position is subjected to be assigned a modified work week and workday which could include weekends and holidays.
Education, Experience & Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent, supplemented by technical courses related to recreation, horticulture, and/or maintenance fields.
- Three (3) years’ experience in repair and maintenance work, preferably experience in a park or recreation system, or
- Any equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in building and grounds maintenance.
- Working knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs.
- Working knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Skill in the operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time, and to perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- Ability to understand, follow, and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, and the public.
- Valid SC Drivers' License
Applications are being accepted at City Hall.
An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The city of Seneca does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability status in employment or the provision of services.