City Of Seneca
Position Description - Munipical Court Judge
Arbitrates disputes, advises counsel, jury, litigants, or court personnel, and administers municipal judicial system. Works under the broad policy guidance and direction of the City Council. Supervise court clerks or other staff, as assigned. Implement court orders from the Supreme Court and implements directives from the SC Court Administration.
Education, Experience & Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice, sociology, or related field.
- Previous law enforcement and or court experience is desirable; and
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of state, federal, local laws, legal language and legal procedures related to municipal court functions.
- Knowledge of courtroom procedure.
- Considerable knowledge of management skills.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of criminal, traffic and infraction procedures.
- Skill in the operation of the listed tools and equipment, including computers.
- Ability to complete complex documents.
- Ability to access confidential records for all registered voters, juvenile information, and information on victims where their identity is protected by law.
- Ability to effectively communicate by one-on-one or through public speaking.
- Ability to maintain professional relationships with the public, co-workers and related entities.
- Ability to determine the credibility of defendants and victims.
- Ability to be on-call after hours, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
Must successfully complete annual training as required by SC Court Administration. Must maintain state certification as a municipal judge through yearly CLE credit hours and have the ability to pass mandatory testing. Subject to reappointment by city council every election cycle.
Applications are being accepted at City Hall.
An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The city of Seneca does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability status in employment or the provision of services.