Seneca Street Department
Position Description - CDL Driver / Heavy Equipment Operator
Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the installation, maintenance, and repair of streets within the city. Operates and performs light maintenance on a variety of light & heavy equipment utilized in maintenance activities. May collect solid waste materials, perform landscaping, or make street repairs, reports to Street Superintendent. May supervise work crews in the absence of the Crew Leader.
Education, Experience & Licensing Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED
- One (1) year experience involving the use of medium and heavy equipment
- Required to have a valid SC driver’s license
- CDL license with airbrake endorsements required
Necessary Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of street repair and maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge of heavy-equipment operating principles.
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to heavy equipment operations.
- Working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in street repair.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instructions and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to observe proper safety precautions.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to drive and operate a variety of equipment under varying conditions.
- Ability to read maps and adjust maps.
Tools And Equipment Used:
- Heavy Equipment: Bush Hog, back-hoe, snowplow, crawler.
- Other Vehicles or Rolling Equipment: pickup truck, utility truck, dump truck, trailer.
- Generators: Diesel Electric Generators, Gas Engine, Generator Sets.
- Tools: Rotary Hammer, Jack Hammer, Side Grinder, Demolition Saw, Chain Saw, Rakes, Concrete Tools, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, Hammers.
- Miscellaneous Equipment: Buckets, Cables, Chains, Grapples, Holding Fixtures, Hooks, Nets, Pallets, Ropes, Slings, Turnbuckles, Tapping Machine, Trailer Pumps, Jacks, Safety Tripod, Ditch Jacks, Blowers, Probing Rods, Tamps, tamper, pumps, detection devices, mobile radio.
Applications are being accepted at City Hall.
An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The city of Seneca does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability status in employment or the provision of services.