City Of Seneca
Position Description - Associate Judge / Office Manager
Performs a wide variety of specialized clerical, accounting, and administrative support for the Municipal Court. Reports to the Municipal Judge, executing administrative policies as determined by, in conjunction with, or in the absence of the Municipal Court officials. As Associate Judge, fills in during the Municipal Judge’s absence to consider and issue arrest and search warrants. Travels to local detention facilities to conduct bond hearings and pleas for incarcerated inmates.
Education, Experience & Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent with course work in typing and/or modern office practices; and
- Five (5) years of related court experience in clerical, secretarial, paralegal or administrative work; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of modern office procedures.
- Working knowledge of state, federal, local law, legal language and legal procedures.
- Some knowledge of basic bookkeeping practices, eligible for bonding by City.
- Skill in the operation of the listed tools and equipment, including computers.
- Ability to effectively communicate on a one-to-one basis with the public, judges, attorneys, police officers, defendants, and agencies.
- Ability to maintain effective working relations with employees, other departments, officials and the public.
- Ability to maintain thorough, accurate records, whether typed, dictated or oral.
- Ability to locate all files or documents pertinent to any given case.
- Required by the Court Administration to attend fourteen (14) hours of continuing legal education (CLE) each year.
- Limited periods of twenty-four-hour, on-call status.
- Must successfully complete annual training as required by SC Court Administration. Must maintain state certification as a municipal judge through yearly CLE credit hours and have the ability to pass mandatory testing.
Applications are being accepted at City Hall.
An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The city of Seneca does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability status in employment or the provision of services.